Saturday, April 11, 2009

container gardening


I am a novice in gardening and by any means not a professional at it but we have a beautiful mature 2+acres of fruit trees and sorts.  I have a beautiful free standing greenhouse with 6 long slanted 1 ft wide x 6 ft tall windows facing south. I wanted to start seedling inside but since frost is not expected, I started the seedlings in their appropriate containers. Some very large containers to smaller clay pots for my container garden. I have a raised bed adjacent but are preparing the soil for future use.  I have planted a variety of tomato that grows not too tall about less than 2 feet in the large round containers.  Also, a zucchini squash in a medium large container. Experimented in planting in many regular containers with floral varieties for splash of color here and there. Exciting news this morning.  The crowning of the zucchini squash plant is apparent now.  A thick leaf and stem coming through the soil. I feel like a proud mother *smile*.

Today's food diary

Morning tea and also throughout the day
40 minutes Pilates Level 2 workout, pilates machine
28 g Whey Protein vanilla flavor mixed with water after workout

Lunch
100 g Spinach raw
15 g Cranberries dried unsweetened
21 g Walnuts
2 T Raspberry Walnut vinaigrette, 80 calories
50 g Tuna Albacore, protein

Snack
115 g Blueberries
10 Almonds

Dinner
113 g Tilapia Dijon Encrusted by World Catch
100 g Brown rice
100 g Broccoli

Snack
144 g Strawberries
1 T Cocoa mixed with cup of hot water, CR Cocoa, 20 calories

This is 983 calories: 104 grams carbs, 80 grams protein, 34 grams fats
Vitamin D: Outside 40 minutes gardening with hat and sunscreen
Meals and snacks were at 2 to 3 hours
I use vitamins and mineral supplements on things I am low on.
Today's food, protein:carb:fat 30:40:30