Wednesday, February 23, 2011

acai berry smoothie

I'm an admitted magazine junkie. My go to mag currently is Food & Wine, healthy recipes big flavors, march 2011, Week of Healthy Wines on newsstands now. I have it delivered, so no hunting for it.

I found this new smoothie recipe, Acai Super Smoothie. It takes 5 min to make, makes 2 large drinks. Here is link to recipe, Acai Super Smoothie, for your library. Reading on, the article combines 3.5 oz pkg of frozen unsweetened acai puree. We have a couple stores here like Trader Joe's and Whole Food's. I haven't checked to see if they stock acai puree. If it isn't available substitute strawberries with a splash of acai juice drink which is found everywhere. My thinking is the taste and the puree of a popular fruit. I would say maybe 2/3 c strawberries, 1/4 c raspberries, a small splash of acai juice (too much will make drink watery), add a large dollop of plain yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1 cup ice. Kitchen Aid Blender on High for 10 seconds, makes 16 oz serving. Avoid sweetners, no need for agave nectar unless you have a very sweet craving use truvia or splenda which should be blended at the same time as ingredients.