Friday, February 25, 2011

cooper's hawk arrives

This morning to my curiosity and wonder, a Cooper's Hawk appeared again sitting on the branch of my bird feeder. It was a female with beautiful white feathers with tipped dark brown rows on her breast and under wings with bright large yellow legs. This free image does not show her beauty. My camera flashed when it should not have. This medium large visitor had a deafening quiet to our surrounding area. The birds were dismayed by her stature and presence. I'm sure my happy small bird regulars will return tomorrow when she is done with her route today. She was lovely to see fly off with her wings full giving her height. I will try again sometime to get her picture sitting or opening up her wings for flight.

The most common call vocalized is cak-cak-cak as an alarm. The male frequent call is kik used for presence and location for his female mate. The last call noted is whaaa, for females flying toward males and flying back to their nest with food. Song call wordings by Bird Songs, 250 North American Birds in Song. She has been visiting every third week and I think she must have a route that takes her a while to come back to my area. Beauty and danger in one.

CR: On another subject, I'm keeping up with my CR and have done well this week. Even tonight we went out on a Friday evening tired but I took time to select a healthy dinner, good for me.